“Our family is forever grateful that God blessed us with the gift of Lifesong being part of our adoption journey. Not only were they extremely easy to work with, but we felt care for when the adoption process got hard and we truly needed prayer for our family.”
Daniel & Tiffany
Adoptive Parents & Lifesong Matching Grant Recipients
See Their Adoption Journey
Thriving on Your Adoption Journey
On your journey of adoption, consider the following resources to help you learn and grow.
Ask your agency for resources available to prepare your family. We also recommend these resources from Christian ministries:
- Loving Shepherd’s Adoption Assessment Forms
- Hope for Orphans’ If You Were Mine, 7-part adoption exploration workshop used by hundreds of churches and thousands of families investigating adoption from a biblical and practical perspective.
Fellowship and encouragement on the adoption journey are very important. If possible, try finding an older adoptive couple or parents who are ahead of you in their parenting to mentor and encourage your family. Additionally, consider starting a group for couples/moms/dads/prayer & fellowship, etc., so you can build relationships with other like-minded families. Finally, consider reading and/or leading a Created to Connect study along with reading The Connected Child book.
This is not an exhaustive list of books, but here are a few we recommend–
- The Connected Child – Karyn Purvis
- Parenting Is Your Highest Calling: And Eight Other Myths — Leslie Leyland Fields
- Adopted for Life – Russell Moore
- Anatomy of the Soul — Curt Thompson
- Nurturing Adoptions — Deborah Gray
- Attaching in Adoption — Deborah Gray
- The Whole-Brain Child — Daniel Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson
- The Out-of-Sync Child — Carol Kranowitz
- Wounded Children Healing Homes — Jayne Schooler, Betsy Keefer Smalley, Timothy Callahan
- The Body Keeps the Score –
- Beyond Consequences, Logic, and Control – Heather T. Forbes
- Orphanology – Tony Merida & Rick Morton
- Parenting the Hurt Child – Keck & Kupecky
- Parenting your Internationally Adopted Child – Patty Cogen
- Thriving as an Adoptive Family – David & Renee Sanford
- Toddler Adoption: The Weaver’s Craft – Mary Hopkins-Best
DVD & Video Training
- Trust-Based Parenting DVD or digital download from the Karyn Purvis Institute
- Empowered to Connect videos
- Adopting Hope by Christianity Today
- The Defender Podcast by Lifeline Children’s Services
- Around the World with the Archibald Project by The Archibald Project
- The Honestly Adoption Podcast by Mike and Kristin Berry
Conferences & Training Opportunities
- Empowered to Connect has an amazing online library covering a wide variety of topics for adoptive and foster parents.
- Wait No More is a ministry of Focus on the Family offering a free post-adoption phone line, 1-800-A-FAMILY
- Show Hope offers medical care grants to help offset healthcare expenses once an adoption has been finalized.
- Lifesong Post-Adoption Care & Counseling Financial Assistance Upon completing your adoption, you may apply for our post-adoption financial assistance, awarding grants and loans to help you access useful resources like counseling, training, trauma care, and neurofeedback.
Adoption Tax Credit Info & Travel Resources
- Becky Wilmoth at Bill’s Tax Service, 501 W. Broadway, Centralia, IL 62801, phone: 618.532.7223 will be glad to answer your questions regarding the Adoption Tax Credit.
- Research information on the Federal Adoption Tax Credit.
- Learn about courses available through Adoption Learning Partners.
- Adoption Airfare – Serving families with adoption airfare discounts for their international adoption travel.